[QuadList] OT: And now-- your palm-sized, color, HD, Quad editing suite replacement

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 7 23:51:45 CDT 2010

Hey Tom,

I learned about helical scan servos in 1965, with the Ampex VR-7000, w/a belt driven scanner servo, and four months later, the entire engineering dept started a Final System Test line for a month, since we could build machines faster than we could test them.
A new machine would get a mechanical "turn-on, smoke test", and then the servo would get set up, and then I would get to set up the video system.
We were having some vendor problems, so the engineer who was doing the servo set-up, taught me how to set up the servo, with a test tape, and my "thumb". This would let me  bypass his test position and get on with getting the video working which was what I really liked to do.
When you were done everything, it was set up properly and when you check the sample and hold with a scope you didn't even have to re-center it on the ramp.
Two years later, and 8,000 miles away, at a Catholic mission, 50 miles outside of Manila, I helped a missionary priest, who had a scope, set up a VR-7000 servo after he had replaced the rubber belt. I put the scope aside, told him to watch for two minutes and then when it was working, I would take him back to the start and set it up "by the book" with the scope.
It's very hard to teach people to use fingers to test mechanical items and some people are very heavy handed.
When you get it right,  you will remember it forever!

Bill Carpenter