[QuadList] frost nixon film

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Tue Jun 8 05:48:08 CDT 2010

On Jun 8, 2010, at 12:45 AM, James Paterson wrote:

> The scenes supposed to be in australia were factually very incorrect
> so far as the tv equipment is concerned.

There are goofs reported on IMDB:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870111/goofs

> The transmission as if it were live in color  is doubtful...we still
> were importing a lot of 16mm kine recordings of us news which i think
> came from VISNEWS, and were horribly crap quality but go around the
> standards conversions.

The goof list includes:

Early in the film Frost is shown in an Australian TV studio watching
the August 1974 broadcast of Nixon's resignation speech on live
television. The broadcast is in color. Australia didn't introduce
color TV until March 1975.

While Frost and his team are doing research, modern VHS cassettes are
visible in one scene. While the VHS format debuted in September 1976,
it's extremely unlikely that they would have had VHS tapes of events
that happened 2 years earlier.

In one scene, David Frost tapes a segment with an escape artist in
front of the Sydney Opera House, for his Australian talk show. The
Quay Grand apartment complex, also known as "The Toaster", is in the
background. It was built in 1999.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870111/locations
Shows only the Sydney Opera House as an Australian location... but
that doesn't rule out other locations.

As for the original Nixon/Frost sessions—"The Nixon Interviews"—here's
the Crew list:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0261639/fullcredits

Anyone recognize any names?

Know what company supplied the truck and cameras used?  Whether the
movie is accurate in its portrayal of equipment?

And since the programs were recorded in 1977, were they on Quad or 1"?
Edited on? Where?

James: You mention Visnews and Kines.  Reminds me of taking some 16mm
7242 color reversal film into Allied Diner labs (or was it just Leo
Diner then) in  San Francisco, just down Golden Gate Ave. from ABC
owned KGO-TV.

Diner had a bench with three or four kine recording setups and telco
lines that brought—if I remember correctly from back in 1974—ABC, NBC
and CBS into the building so they could record material for processing
and shipment to Australia.

Ted.