[QuadList] Busby

W4wj at aol.com W4wj at aol.com
Sat Mar 6 12:45:13 CST 2010

Bill...

As you may remember, we had 5 of the AVR-3s at  WTVJ.

That was a sweet little machine.  I did  machine-to-machine
and EDM-1 controlled editing with our set-up.

Very nice package... Nice profile...

QUICK STORY:  When it came time to trade the AVR-3s  back
to AMPEX for some 2B's...  A C.E. from a station in  Mississippi
came to look at the machines he was going to be getting  from
AMPEX after they went in for refurb.  The machines were  in
like new condition, but he wanted what he was paying  for.

So he took serial numbers and checked each machine over and
then wanted a demo.  He asked me to record some bars and  play
them right back.  So that was easy.

I did a short record then rewound the tape and punched  play.
A quick lock (usually a bit over 2 seconds) and the bars  looked
real good on the machines 15" TEK monitor.

He said, "I'd like to look at the machine output, not the  input!"

I told him that was the machine out and proved it by  tapping
on the tape a bit to cause a very minimal amount of video  grivit!!

He was a happy camper!!

73,

Don Murray, W4WJ
Fredericksburg,  Texas

Retired from 40 years in Miami TV
35+ years at NBC O&O WTVJ

In a message dated 3/1/2010 2:25:08 P.M. Central Standard Time,