[QuadList] Plasticizer--Photos?

bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv
Thu Mar 18 09:01:34 CDT 2010

The white powder referred to is the lubricant drying out.  The lubricant
was a fatty acid called Palmetic acid and the source for some
manufacturers was whale oil.  It gave it that characteristic "new tape"
smell.  Memorex was the worst for 2".

Although I have seen it a few times in 1" it is much less than in quad
and seems to mostly happen with stock manufactured in Japan rather than
in Alabama.  Of course the whale oil is more available in Japan and I
never did find out what the others used here, but I'll bet someone on
this list knows!

Bill Spencer

RF Engineering Supervisor

NorthStar Studios, Inc.

3201 Dickerson Pike

Nashville, TN 37207

Phone 615.650.6000 ext. 6610

Cell 615.445.5616

Fax 615.650.6027

email bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE/HIPAA PRIVACY RULE: This message may contain
under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient (or
authorized to act on behalf of the intended recipient) of this message,
please do not disclose, forward, distribute, copy, or use this message
or its contents. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete the original
message from your e-mail system. Thank you.