[QuadList] Plasticizer--Photos?

John Walko jwalko at scenesavers.com
Thu Mar 18 09:17:19 CDT 2010

Bill:

We did a large 1" project a couple of years ago (about 1000 tapes).  We
could identify brands by smell.

I would guess some tapes uses coconut oil, because the tapes smelled like
suntan lotion (or coconut lifesavers.pick your favorite).  Other tapes
smelled like waxy crayons (like a new box) and still others smelled musty,
like old gym socks.

And, as was mentioned (surprisingly), Fuji tapes were among the ones that
held up better/were easier to play back.  I think they were also the ones
that smelled of coconut (I may be wrong on this, though).

We have some 2" in here now that is giving us fits.lots of stickiness
(mostly from the black back coating) and lots of shedding.  These tapes
don't appear to have too much of the white residue, but are quite musty
smelling.  Most of the reels have the foam coated flange reel, so we're not
sure if the odor is coming from the tapes or from the foam rubber degrading.
I'll have to ask our engineer if he is seeing the white powder.

John Walko