[QuadList] Plasticizer--Photos?

Dale Lamm dlamm1 at neo.rr.com
Sat Mar 20 13:18:24 CDT 2010

After seeing a photo, must say I've seen this same effect on quarter inch
audio tape that has been in storage for years. I too thought it was mold,
but the cardboard boxes containing the reels were dry and spotless. The tape
was not sticky, but the white, powdery gunk would quickly land on tape
guides and the head stack.

My low-tech solution was to spool the reels in fast forward, holding a clean
cloth against both sides of the tape to collect the material. It came off
easily and looked fibrous, like finely ground cotton. I assumed it was some
chemical breakdown of the cellulose acetate base, but from reading here, it
could have been deteriorated lubricant.