[QuadList] Fwd: Quad VTR Quadrature Compensator

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Mon Mar 29 16:56:42 CDT 2010

Interesting that the gentleman worked for NBC.  The TRT-1 used this same method.  There were actually two sets of delay lines, one for playback and one for record.  The center of each delay line was "0" so that you could advance or delay the timing.  As I recall, you played an alignment tape and adjusted the playback delays for proper geometry.  Then you set the record delays inversely.  In other words, a head that required +4 setting in playback would be set to -4 on the record side.  You then left the record side alone as long as that headwheel was in the machine and you were free to adjust the playback side as needed from tape to tape.  This all became a moot point as the accuracy of the head manufacturing improved, and then the arrival of the timebase correction systems.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com