[QuadList] What's happening in Nashville, Bill?

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Fri May 7 20:32:15 CDT 2010

While much of the world's attention has been focused on Wall Street,
Times Square, and the Gulf Coast... the flooding in Nashville has been
getting little attention.

One of our 100+ list members is Bill Spencer out at Northstar Studios,
east of downtown Nashville and north of the Opryland area.

Bill Spencer
RF Engineering Supervisor
NorthStar Studios, Inc.
3201 Dickerson Pike
Nashville, TN 37207

Phone 615.650.6000 ext. 6610
Cell 615.445.5616
Fax 615.650.6027
email bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv

We visited Bill there on our 75-day sales trip this winter.

I'm hoping he didn't get hit with problems there or at home.

NorthStar is the program playback and uplink point for a number of
networks... disaster relief backup point for others, and is the taping
location for various programs.  RFD-TV cable network is housed there.

On May 3, WSMV-TV reported:

The historic Ryman Auditorium -- the former home of the Grand Ole Opry
-- and the recording studios of Music Row were not in immediate
danger, parts of other top Nashville tourist spots including the
Country Music Hall of Fame and The Grand Ole Opry House were flooded.

The weather service listed the two-day total as 13.53 inches at the
city's airport, outstripping the old record of 6.68 inches from the
remnants of Hurricane Fredrick in 1979.

Having been through flooding in Yuba County in 1997 and 2001 I can
appreciate the mess people are facing.

Hope there's no major issues with any Nashville area Archives,
either.  Vanderbilt has a major TV news archive.

There was some damage reported at the Country Music Hall of Fame,
which also has archival media materials.
http://www.wsmv.com/video/23491578/index.html

The Grand Ol' Opry is right along the Cumberland River and was trashed.

More about that here:
http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/

WSMV-TV's website is here.
http://www.wsmv.com/news/index.html

There are links to make donations to relief efforts.

Secretary for the  QuadVideotapeGroup.com:
Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use them, in
conjunction with the Library of Congress
ted at quadvideotapegroup.com