[QuadList] Quad Videotape Group News and Pictures--AMIA Philadelphia 2010

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Tue Nov 16 12:25:28 CST 2010

Gary,

Thanks for the great pictures! I was preparing my email when yours popped up

Here are some pictures and recollections from the AMIA trip.

On the way to Philadelphia, dropped by NorthStar in Nashville, and was given a first class tour by Allen Guidry, Manager of Product Services. He was my contact thanks to a common family/business friend who used to produce Hee-Haw back in the day.  NorthStar is a very active facility, well equipped, and fully staffed. While on the tour, finally met quad list member Bill Spencer. He has quite a job there amongst all of the playouts and uplinks going on, plus his 2" machine transfer setup. NorthStar is the "go to" place in Nashville for production and uplinks.

Proceeded to Arlington, VA to pickup some stored booth gear that an old friend was keeping for me since the SAA convention this past August. A new addition to the storage area in the last 60 days was some vintage nitrate film, hence we were somewhat careful to not have a "surprise" when removing gear, less a square mile "hazmat" situation.

Proceeded to Philadelphia (with ample toll-road fare), all the while thinking of what an authentic Philly Cheese Steak sandwich would be.  I got my wish, with approx. four layers (quad) of steak and cheese.

The very nice waitress was impressed by my enthusiasm...and took this shot!

The first night of my arrival in Philly was the quad dinner, hosted by George Blood at "The White Dog". Fine dining, good conversation, and many stores being told. No, George did not pickup the tab.
It's difficult to make a choice as to what was the most eventful part of the night: Figuring up the bill for each participant's dinner, or the harrowing ride in Ted's Mountaineer while grown men complained that their GPS device was not picking up the satellite (where are we now?).

Many war stories and tall tales were heard...

Flashscan (Ted) had a commanding display at the entrance. Gary, Ted, and I could see each others booth, with the crowd shuffling between.

The week was wrapped up (for me) with the Archival Screening Night. The only 2" quad presentation was "Day in Court",1958,  which appeared to be well received and with great audience reaction (laughs). And the ride to/from the screening venue via the Philadelphia Subway System was "uneventful", even on the late night return trip to the hotel.

Had a nice dinner with clients at "Portofino", an very fine Italian restaurant, walking distance amongst the street steam and drizzle from the hotel. I'd recommend the venue should one visit Philadelphia. The owner was authentic old-world Italian, which contributed to the atmosphere.

In summary, met a lot of nice people and renewed many contacts. Ted and Gary were of great inspiration and help, and George's restaurant recommendation was superb. The quad group was well represented.

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Archived Media Transfer and Re-mastering Services
177 West Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA. 91502
818-563-1073
818-563-1177 (fax)