[QuadList] Smith splicer, etc.

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Thu Oct 14 19:54:14 CDT 2010

First issue is the splice.  You can come very close with out the smith
splicer to put it back together.  I did that once in an emergency.   Just be
very careful as the track width and spacing is what counts.

Poor deviation may be caused by a couple of reasons.  First thing to  do is
try to get it on a machine that plays back LBM.  If that does not  work, go
to a RCA machine that has the extra demod standard for the very early  non
standard settings.  This was used before the SMPTE standardized the
frequencies and deviation.  I only ran into one tape that had it in my  life.  This
may fix it.

If not, a proc amp can cause other problems in the AMTEC or ATC.  You  may
now have a flywheel sync reconstruction coming out of the proc amp.   This
may be the cause of the jitter.

Best thing to do is use a machine with an analog time base corrector such
as AMTEC or ATC.

Wish you luck.

Chris Hill
WA8IGN