[QuadList] Smith splicer, etc.

Chuck Reti cwreti at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 17:34:28 CDT 2010

On Oct 14, 2010, at Oct 14 5:36 PM, Don Norwood wrote:

> I don't think there ever was an LBM demod for the AVR-

I believe you are correct on that, but there was a Low Band Color
demod board set available for the AVR-2. These could not be used for
recovery of Low Band Mono though, due, I recall, to differences in
carrier freq and deviation.
I had very limited success playing Low Band Monochrome tapes on AVR-2
by taking its demod out to an external proc and TBC. Had to be very
careful about skew and scallop (tip penetration and guide height)
which, if off even a little bit, would cause line pulls at each
channel's head switch point.
I also had 7.5ips 5 mil head recordings. With only a 10 mil head
available for playback, I had to manually, carefully, ride tracking
to minimize (of course never eliminate) moire and interference
between tracks. Since the content overrode the technical flaws, the
recovered video was adequate for the purpose needed.

Chuck Reti
Detroit MI