[QuadList] Fun with a PCP-90 and AVR-2 at WRET-TV, Charlotte/Possible TR-70C motor service source

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Thu Sep 16 17:29:45 CDT 2010

Just had an enjoyable and lengthy chat on the phone with new member
Larry Odham in the Knoxville, TN area.

During a discussion of his need for a TR-70C capstan motor or a
replacement for the glass tachometer disc on the back I googled "RCA
TR-70C."

This 1977 Video Tour of independent station WRET-TV, 36, Charlotte
popped up, but there's not a 70 to be seen here. Ampex is, though.

And so is QuadList member Dennis Degan, who's now an editor for the
Today Show at NBC, NY.  He's the person you see threading up the
VR-2000 in the first segment.  Dennis posted the clips to his YouTube
channel.

Advisory: (Warning Will Robinson!) There are some (bleep) words not
bleeped in the videos, so be prepare to use your fingers to hit "Mute"
quickly. Oh, and blink to avoid the index finger near the head of the
first segment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAp1Q7BTUxQ  Segment 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JAWv7SLLdo    Segment 2

WRET-TV is now Belo's WCNC, Charlotte, the NBC affiliate.  You're not
likely to see something like this repeated there.

We did find something potentially useful:

Possible TR-70C Capstan Motor service:
http://www.servorep.com/PMIKollmorgenPage.html

Hope this wakes you up in the middle of a drowsy Thursday afternoon.