[QuadList] How CBS is migrating news tape (including Quad) and film, and other items of interest by James O'Neal

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sun Sep 19 15:36:18 CDT 2010

I met author James E. O'Neal in July at the Library of Congress
National Audio Visual Conservation Center in Culpeper, VA.  I was
there to help install a new HD film transfer system, the flashtransfer
Vario.

James was working on one of several (understatement) AVR-2's being
restored for service in the Library's mass migration area.  I may have
a picture of him at work, and will post when I find it.  He's planning
a story about it.

He called me shortly after our conversation for an hour-long chat by
phone.

Here's O'Neal's item about what CBS is doing to migrate tape and film
across from the CBS Broadcast Center on W. 57th:
http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/14224

O'Neal writes:

The operation has two Ampex AVR-1 quads in daily use and an additional
machine is retained as a spare. There are also a couple of Ampex
VR-2000s. Six one-inch machines are kept in repair for type “C”
playback and there are numerous U-matic 3/4-inch machines, as well as
models for most any other format that was used for recording news
content.

“Whenever the network decides to get rid of a tape machine, we've had
first dibs,” said (CBS news archives manager Roy )Carubia.

A Rank Cintel machine is used for film transfers, and the operation
keeps some Movieola flatbed editing machines in shape for screenings
and preparation and repair of film. The Movieolas also provide a means
for recovering magtrack audio from double system recordings. In
addition, the archiving operations keep several tape cleaning machines
busy.

What prompted the post today is that well known camera collector Chuck
Pharis is the most recent subject of James' writing, and it looks like
it was on on-site visit: Here are links to both stories:

Camera collection:	http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/105484
Test Pattern		http://tvtechnology.com/article/106490

Some on the list might have read his article this spring about the
Eighth Annual Early Television Foundation gathering in Hilliard, OH:
http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/100820

You may also have read his story about the closure of one of the last
CRT rebuilding plants in the US: Hawk-Eye Picture Tube Manufacturing:
http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/103016

Discovered Thursday that there's a Hawk-Eye tube in one of the two
Barco C22 9" picture monitors that came from several Ampex VPR-80
consoles. Not that I can tell if it's working :) Nothing happens when
I hit it with power. Need manual and prints to see what's up. Anyone
have such?  Will scan and return.

Enjoy!