[QuadList] Fun with a PCP-90 and AVR-2 at WRET-TV, Charlotte/Possible TR-70C motor service source

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 16 18:55:16 CDT 2010

		On Sep 16, 2010, at 6:29 PM, Ted Langdell wrote:

 > This 1977 Video Tour of independent station WRET-TV, 36, Charlotte
popped up, but there's not a 70 to be seen here. Ampex is, though.

		I explain:

	WRET-TV in Charlotte was owned at the time by Ted Turner.  (W)RET
stands for "Robert Edward Turner".  The independent station was all
Ampex and was quite the little production house as well as TV
station.  They had 3 VR-1200s, an AVR-2 with Editec, and an ACR-25b
cart machine.

		Ted L. also said:

 > And so is QuadList member Dennis Degan, who's now an editor for the
Today Show at NBC, NY.  He's the person you see threading up the
VR-2000 in the first segment.  Dennis posted the clips to his YouTube
channel.

		I add:

	Actually, I'm shown threading a VR-1200, one of 3 seen in the tape
room.
	I maintained the ACR-25 and was night tape operator at that point in
my life.  I was 26 years old.

		Ted L. warned:

 > Advisory: (Warning Will Robinson!) There are some (bleep) words not
bleeped in the videos, so be prepare to use your fingers to hit "Mute"
quickly. Oh, and blink to avoid the index finger near the head of the
first segment.

		I disclaim:

	The index finger was NOT mine.  Also, the original material was 17
minutes long and included even more swearing.  We were a swarthy bunch.
	This was a tour of just about all the technical facilities of the
station; going as far as the PCP-90's backpack cable would reach.
	The WRET Tour was recorded on the AVR-2 seen running in the video.
In fact, you can see my fingers press "Stop" at the end of Part 2 as
the picture goes to hash.
	Thanks for the mention, Ted!

			<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAp1Q7BTUxQ>  Segment 1
			<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JAWv7SLLdo>   Segment 2