[QuadList] Fun with a PCP-90 and AVR-2 at WRET-TV, Charlotte/Possible TR-70C motor service source

David C. Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Thu Sep 16 20:01:56 CDT 2010

Quoting Dennis Degan <DennyD1 at verizon.net>:

"I maintained the ACR-25 and was night tape operator at that point in
my life.  I was 26 years old."

My comment:

I was 23 years old when I was hired by KCOP to maintain (with others)
their 6 VR-2000's, a VR 1200, and two ACR 25B's. Those were the days
when we were hungry for overtime and the fun! No pictures of that rat
infested old building though. I transitioned to TD, VC and eventually
to tape editing full time before moving on to NBC. But my twenties
were fun times.

David

Quoting Dennis Degan <DennyD1 at verizon.net>:

> 		On Sep 16, 2010, at 6:29 PM, Ted Langdell wrote:
>
>> This 1977 Video Tour of independent station WRET-TV, 36, Charlotte
> popped up, but there's not a 70 to be seen here. Ampex is, though.
>
> 		I explain:
>
> 	WRET-TV in Charlotte was owned at the time by Ted Turner.  (W)RET
> stands for "Robert Edward Turner".  The independent station was all
> Ampex and was quite the little production house as well as TV station.
> They had 3 VR-1200s, an AVR-2 with Editec, and an ACR-25b cart machine.
>
> 		Ted L. also said:
>
>> And so is QuadList member Dennis Degan, who's now an editor for the
> Today Show at NBC, NY.  He's the person you see threading up the
> VR-2000 in the first segment.  Dennis posted the clips to his YouTube
> channel.
>
> 		I add:
>
> 	Actually, I'm shown threading a VR-1200, one of 3 seen in the tape room.
> 	I maintained the ACR-25 and was night tape operator at that point in
> my life.  I was 26 years old.
>
> 		Ted L. warned:
>
>> Advisory: (Warning Will Robinson!) There are some (bleep) words not
> bleeped in the videos, so be prepare to use your fingers to hit "Mute"
> quickly. Oh, and blink to avoid the index finger near the head of the
> first segment.
>
> 		I disclaim:
>
> 	The index finger was NOT mine.  Also, the original material was 17
> minutes long and included even more swearing.  We were a swarthy bunch.
> 	This was a tour of just about all the technical facilities of the
> station; going as far as the PCP-90's backpack cable would reach.
> 	The WRET Tour was recorded on the AVR-2 seen running in the video.  In
> fact, you can see my fingers press "Stop" at the end of Part 2 as the
> picture goes to hash.
> 	Thanks for the mention, Ted!
>
> 			<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAp1Q7BTUxQ>  Segment 1
> 			<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JAWv7SLLdo>   Segment 2
>
> 			Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
> 	  					NBC Today Show, New York

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Archived Media Transfer and Re-mastering Services
177 West Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA. 91502
818-563-1073
818-563-1177 (fax)