[QuadList] Multi Standard machines

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Fri Apr 29 07:10:36 CDT 2011

The request for a machine to play both PAL and NTSC has led to an
interesting discussion.

I did some research and found that the universal Colortec works in both Pal
 and NTSC.  This solves the TBC problem.

The VR-1200 is a more difficult machine but has advantages.

The AVR-2 is a beautiful machine.  It does not do multi  standards.

To change an AVR-2 between NTSC and PAL requires a lot of  board changes.

Board 2    Capstan Servo

Board 3    Control Track Processor

Board 12    Modulator

Board 15    Switcher and Equalizer

Board 16    Demodulator

Board 17    TBC Video Input

Board 20    Clock Generator

Board 22    Memory

Board 23    Two line delay

Board 28    Logic

Board 29    Sync Gen Logic for PAL only

Board 30    Sync Gen

As you can see there is not an easy solution to use the AVR-2.  It is  the
easiest machine to use, and you can get very good pictures.  I would go  for
it is all one is doing is a single standard and High Band only.  If  not,
then you are stuck with a VR-1200 series.

Hope this spreads some light.

Chris Hill
WA8IGN