[QuadList] High and Low band on AVR-2 via new board set (was Multi Standard machines)

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Fri Apr 29 09:56:40 CDT 2011

On Apr 29, 2011, at 5:10 AM, Chill315 at aol.com wrote:

>   I would go for it if all one is doing is a single standard and
> High Band only.  If not, then you are stuck with a VR-1200 series.

No quite so... as a result of the first new development for Quad
videotape in decades!

As we announced at the Quad/Editor/Telecine lunch at NAB...
There's a new board set that will take care of making an AVR-2 capable
of running high band c/m and Low Band color and monochrome with just a
few switch flips or turns.

This makes it possible to standardize on the AVR-2 as a machine of
choice for these tape formats.

The board is an outgrowth of Ken Zin's execution for his own AVR-2. He
and long-time colleague Al Sturm have collaborated on the design. Al
is handling the manufacturing details and I'm marketing it.

The set replaces the demod card, and modifies the EQ/Switcher card to
work with the new demod.  It can be set up to work with NTSC and PAL.

Please contact me off-list at ted at flashscan8.us for further info.

Beyond Low Band Color...
There's also the possibility of a slightly different board set to
allow AVR-2 transfer of RCA Labs color and RCA color, those wonderful
pre-low band heterodyne formats used on the WRC-TV dedication
(Eisenhower tape), the "Evening with Fred Astaire" recordings and
other shows done at NBC or on early color RCA machines.

That's taken mods to 10 or so AVR-1 boards to accomplish. QuadList
member Ed Reitan did it in 1987/88 to enable recovery of the
Eisenhower and Astaire tapes (among others) with Don Kent operating
the KTLA machine. That's now in CBS-TVC (with the boards, I'd think.)

QuadList member David Crosthwait did it for one of his AVR-1's a
couple of years ago and presented a short talk w/powerpoint at the
AMIA 'Reel Thing' in St. Louis.  It took some late night soldering-
iron sessions and a lot of reference to the RCA TRT-1C manuals he has
to reverse engineer the process and develop his set of mods.