[QuadList] want to buy a quad--Things to think about

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Thu Apr 28 10:17:15 CDT 2011

Shai,

Ted's compilation of "challenges" is very good.  I can add a couple of thoughts about machine specific considerations.

You mentioned having dealt with a VR-1200, so you obviously have some experience with that machine.  Other list members have suggested an AVR-2 as a good possibility.  No matter what model, having only a single machine will likely guarantee that you will have potentially long periods of down time, so if reliability is important to you, one may not be enough!

The AVR-2 is probably the most readily available since being a newer model,  there seem to be more of them still in existence.  It has the advantage of being the smallest and lightest of the studio machines.  While it is newer technology than the VR-1200, it can be difficult to source some of the components, and there are some significant variations through the production span of the machine, so even if you have a "spare" machine, you need to be able to service it at a component level since board level swaps may not be possible in some cases with different vintages of machines.

The VR-1200 is larger, heavier and older than the AVR-2, but it has the advantage of containing very few components that are not still easily obtained.  The same thing applies to the VR-2000 and most of the RCA TR-70 series since they used almost all discrete components.  Their general lack of obsolete IC's can be a big advantage.  Another nice thing about the Ampex VR series machines is the interchangeable design of the subsystems which makes locating spares a greatly simplified process.
.
Arguments could be made for any model, but unless you are comfortable with all that's in Ted's list, I'd strongly suggest that you look at other alternatives for getting the material transferred.  If you do move forward with acquiring machines, let me know if there are Ampex questions that I can answer.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com