[QuadList] TBC

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Fri Apr 29 16:53:43 CDT 2011

Shai:

The design is very different.  I have tried many different models, not
expecting them to work, but just out of curiosity.  NONE of them, from
older, early generation TBC's to very modern designs will work.  There are
two main problems.....first is the different nature of the timing error
between segmented and helical, and second is that many of the early designs
as well as later and less expensive models were not designed for use with
direct color recovery.  They rely on the heterodyne processing in the VTR to
recover the color signal, and that's the market that most of the TBC's were
designed for.

Merlin used several different models of NEC TBC's but I believe most of them
required some degree of modification.  They also used an Adda VW-2 and an
Ampex TBC-800, both with some mods .  You can find info on these on our
website on the Merlin Literature page.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com