[QuadList] OT: 5.9 Quake 35 miles S of Library of Congress-Culpeper, and 35 NNW of Guy Spiller's TR-70's in Midlothian

James Snyder snyder at dtvexpress.net
Tue Aug 23 18:07:36 CDT 2011

Hello all from rock-and-roll central, Culpeper, VA!

We're all fine here, although the Library closed early both here and
in DC so we could inspect the buildings and make sure they're OK.

We took no obvious structural damage here in Culpeper, but it was
quite a ride!  Lots of ceiling tiles either down or knocked noticably
out of place.  The floor tiles held firm and there are no obvious
signs of cracks or other structural issues.  No leaks currently
either.

I was in the big theatre when the temblor hit.  The theatre sits on
bedrock and it felt like we were under an enormous air handler that
was spinning up (sounded like it too!) but it just kept getting
stronger for about 20 seconds, then started to tail off.  I got a
great shot of our cement pond with large ripples in it.

We evacuated the building while it was inspected, and we got back
into the building about 40 minutes later.

We had Senator Mark Warner here today for a meeting with the public
and the quake struck about 10 minutes before the meeting.  He held
his meeting with the public under the shade of the big tree in front
of our parking lot, then went in for questions after the building was
OK'd.  He handled it really well.

Given the strength of the quake, we got off pretty light.  I'm really
glad we don't get these very often!

As for the quads, they didn't even hiccup during the quake....

James
James Snyder
Senior Systems Administrator
Library of Congress -
   National Audio Visual Conservation Center (NAVCC)
Motion Picture, Broadcasting & Recorded Sound Division (MBRS)
Packard Campus for Audio Visual Conservation