[QuadList] prototyping question

Dave Sieg dave at zfx.com
Thu Dec 8 17:56:08 CST 2011

I've been breadboarding a prototype for a client and it brings to mind a
prototyped quad machine I saw years ago.
Thought someone here might be able to shed some light on it. Lets set the
WayBack machine to about 1977...
When I was CE at the University of Mississippi media center, we got some
surplus NASA equipment from
Huntsville, AL.  One of the most interesting items was the transport to an
old Ampex VR1000 that had
been extensively modified.  My guess is that it was a prototype for using a
quad-type transport to record
higher data rates.  There were four J-shaped copper boxes inside of which
was intricate, extremely well constructed
hand-built head preamps/record amps that sat stacked just above the head
extending back between the reels.
Mounted under the transport below were several of the standard Ampex 19"
card cages (like the servos use)
mounted beneath with hand-wired boards and a standard Ampex power supply.
 Blue-ribbon edge connectors.

It occurs to me that Ampex personnel would probably have been involved in
developing the prototype, and since
I know there are some old Ampex alums on here, I thought maybe someone here
might know the story behind this machine.
Unfortunately, with no documentation, there was no chance of ever getting
it to do anything, and I have no idea what
ever happened to it,  but I did spend a lot of time admiring the
exceptionally well-designed and executed prototype
workmanship, and I think of the techniques as a shining example whenever I
get out my breadboards and soldering iron.

Unfortunately I have no pictures of it.

Anyone here have any clues about what this machine might have been for and
who might have been the
craftsmen behind the circuitry?

--
Dave Sieg