[QuadList] QuadList Digest, Vol 42, Issue 47

rabruner at aol.com rabruner at aol.com
Wed Dec 21 00:00:21 CST 2011

The old Ampex head cleaner was a mixture of Xylene and freon.  At an Ampex maintenance school for D2 machines, they told us they used Xylene because it was the only thing effective at dissolving the tape binder that deposited on the machines.  Many years ago, I worked at an automated FM station where we used xylene to make clear windows in audio tape to allow optical cuing of the spot reel.  My guess would be you would not want to use xylene directly on tape because it will attack and soften, if not remove completely, the binder.
Bob Bruner
W9TAJ