[QuadList] True colors

C. Park Seward park at videopark.com
Tue Dec 27 11:44:22 CST 2011

In all the mobile TV units that I use for ABC and ESPN, we have CRTs back in video. All the other monitors are LCD. Currently, it is only on a CRT that yo can see a true black level as well as a perfect match between screens. I use a few HD CRT Ikegami monitors I got for a very good price at an auction.

I saw the new Sony monitor at the NAB that looked promising. It uses OLED technology.Their previous LED TRIMASTER monitors were not satisfactory, IMHO.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-monitors/cat-broadcastevaluationmonitors/resource.solutions.bbsccms-assets-cat-mondisp-solutions-oledmonitors.shtml

I know that Universal is using Panasonic plasma monitors for color correction. That can be adjusted to a standard and will match and track.

Inexpensive computer LED monitors aren't the best choice for evaluation. Yes, you can use LUTs to get different looks but tracking will always be a problem as well as black level display.

Best,
Park

C. Park Seward
Cell: 818-535-2747