[QuadList] True colors

Tony Quinn tony at tqvideo.co.uk
Tue Dec 27 12:07:22 CST 2011

In message <D43CBE3F-4A83-4AA3-A53F-956975455F73 at videopark.com>, C. Park
Seward <park at videopark.com> writes
>In all the mobile TV units that I use for ABC and ESPN, we have CRTs
>back in video. All the other monitors are LCD. Currently, it is only on
>a CRT that yo can see a true black level as well as a perfect match
>between screens. I use a few HD CRT Ikegami monitors I got for a very
>good price at an auction.
>
>I saw the new Sony monitor at the NAB that looked promising. It uses
>OLED technology.Their previous LED TRIMASTER monitors were not
>satisfactory, IMHO.

I've been using a couple of these as racks monitors on a production
recently.

http://www.tvlogicusa.com/product/product.php?idx=41

The first two developed a strange fault that manifested as yellow
patches in saturated red areas, and they've been warranty replaced.
They're the best flat panel monitors that I've worked with so far, very
stable and with a good viewing angle, but still not as good as CRT
monitors. LCD monitors can't even maintain a white balance across the
width of the display, and really are only video headphones

I'm anticipating looking at the Sony OLED units in early 2012, although
as Park has said the Sony Trimasters (the LVM-270 IIRC) are OK in an
edit suite, but no good for grading purposes

--
The total lack of evidence (and no, some Stone Age scribbling doesn't count as
evidence) in any deity is more than enough for me to not believe in something