[QuadList] True colors

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Tue Dec 27 16:30:36 CST 2011

Hi, Shai,

Keep your best CRT monitor on-line and several spares for several reasons:  In addition to being able to use it as a reference for color, it will also enable you to see issues with interlaced video that an LCD or Plasma may not, since the flat panels convert interlace to progressive before display.

Those include field-rate things like interline twitter in graphics and telecine or editing related issues that are cadence related.  Some may be more NTSC-centric, like 3:2 pulldown when transferring 24fps film at 23.94fps to NTSC's 29.97 fps.

I hope that even though you're in  PAL environment, you can set your CRT monitor up to SMPTE bars using the PLUGE platches int he black area, and then see whether you can get your flat panels to match.

You might get some suggestions about particular flat panels if you post the mfr. and model numbers to the list.

Different flat panels have different adjustability, particularly when adjustable backlight comes into play.  That can improve the black level if you're in a darker environment and don't need to crank up the backlighting to compensate for a brighter room.

You might want to look back through the TIG (Telecine Internet Group) archives or Wiki to see what recommendations pop up.  The issue of color matching on flat screens has been a regular and frequent topic.
TIG  http://www.colorist.org

There was a recent discussion about using various types of color sensing devices used in monitor setup and matching and how different displays measured and why. OLED was a problem.  See the thread for details.

Look for 	[Tig] An OLED Story
It begins here.  http://tig.colorist.org/pipermail/tig/2011-October/019570.html

and is continues in "Part 2."

There is some scientific measurement info and other anecdotal information from posters' experiences.

Also look for: [Tig] The Present and Future of Reference Monitors
Also for "Reference Monitors," among other phrases.

Search here:  http://tig.colorist.org/cgi-bin/swish.cgi

Hope this helps.