[QuadList] OT but they had tape drives... early GE Computers- Ed Sharpe and Ronald Reagan

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Fri Feb 4 16:36:28 CST 2011

A while back a writer under the  employ of General Electric contacted me...
Take a look at  all the interesting info they have on these  pages but also
here  is   what they quoted me on... some quotes are a bit loose  check
with me before you go to press  on anything further.  and we will  tighten
things up a bit!
This is fun,  computer history, Papa Spielberg and our 40th  president!
....Ed Sharpe

Progress Reports

A look back at Ronald Reagan's speech to GE execs at the dawn of  the
computer age

Celebrating the Centennial
Ronald Reagan &  GE

Frontiers of Progress
On May 2, 1961, Ronald Reagan delivered a memorable speech at the GE
computer department’s “Frontiers of Progress” sales meeting in Apache Junction,
Arizona. His eloquent words about computing and GE’s role in the industry’
s  brief history came at an optimistic time in America and at the dawn of
the  automation age.Less than a decade later, (In 1970) GE would sell its
computer  division to Honeywell for $200 million. Still, the 1950’s and 1960’
was an  exciting era of innovation in the nascent world of computer
technology, and  Reagan’s speech personified that excitement and sense of promise.
for rest of
article........._http://reagan.geblogs.com/frontiers-of-progress/_ (http://reagan.geblogs.com/frontiers-of-progress/)

-------------
see more GE at   _http://www.ge.com/reagan/index.html_ (http://www.ge.com/re