[QuadList] Jeporady Question of the Day--RCA TH's and TR's

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Wed Feb 23 13:36:18 CST 2011

I've asked Don to clarify his understanding of the TH/TR 800.

My on-line research comes up with TR-800 as the RCA manufactured Type-
C helical machine.

Abramson's book and trade publications call it a TR-800.

Other Type-C helical machines RCA sold were from other vendors and
bore the "TH" designation.

VPR-80's were TH-400's.

Park has a pair of RCA-badged VPR-3's (TH-900) that are very clean.

VPR-6's were TH-700's in one reference, but were called TH-800's in a
1985 Broadcast Management/Engineering reference.

If there were two "800" helical machines with RCA badging, it seems
like RCA reserved the "TR-" designation for machines it manufactured,
and applied "TH-" to ones made by others.

I'd also like to hear stories where they worked fine if there are any.

Does anyone have stats on machines sold, where they went?

David C has told of experiences with TR-800's. Runaway machines with
tape out of control.  And I seem to recall another story regarding one
that rolled out the back of a remote truck???

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com