[QuadList] Quad tapes of First SuperBowl--Recorded at WDAU-TV--More about station

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sun Feb 6 00:23:29 CST 2011

Hmmm... In re-reading the Wall Street Journal story about the tapes,
there might be a chance that the recording was made somewhere other
than WDAU-TV.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704709304576124373773290508.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsTop#articleTabs%3Darticle

The article says it was Quad, and the commentary is from the CBS
announcing team.

Since you don't expect to find a Quad machines outside a TV station is
smaller markets,  one might assume the recording was made at WDAU-TV.
But, the language the article uses (my emphasis in bold) leaves the
actual recording location in some doubt.

The tape's owner said through his attorney, Steve Harwood of Norfolk,
Va., that the recording had been shot by his client's father, who
recorded the broadcast by WDAU-TV in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Pa., on a
videotape machine at his workplace in hopes the tapes might someday be
valuable.

The article's not clear about where that workplace was.

It might have been made at a competing station off the WDAU-TV
signal... or it might have been made at some other in-market facility
that had a Quad machine at the time and a tuner pulling in WDAU-TV on
channel 22.

Since it's 10pm on a Saturday night, I can't exactly call the
attorney's office in Norfolk, VA and get some clarification.

The Wall St. Journal video story notes that the recording operator
started and stopped the machine, recording the plays but not the
commentary between... apparently in an effort to get the game onto 90-
minutes of tape.

http://online.wsj.com/video/tape-of-the-first-super-bowl-emerges/BE7B4465-B4F2-41E5-9A00-A4041FD57D1E.html

Looking at the clip the Wall St. Journal posted, one sees a good bit
of breakup in the video (see 2:29 in).

Looks like the machine was losing lock during recording.  Off air
signal?  One hop or two?

Some NFL World Champioship Game 1 (aka SuperBowl I) Trivia from
Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_I

Announcers	CBS: Ray Scott, Jack Whitakerand Frank Gifford
NBC: Curt Gowdy and Paul Christman
Nielsen ratings	CBS: 22.6
(est. 26.75 million viewers)[1]
NBC: 18.5
(est. 24.43 million viewers)[2]
(Total: 51.18 million viewers)[3]
Market share	CBS: 43
NBC: 36
Tot: 	   79
Cost of 30-second commercial	US$42,000 (Both CBS and NBC)

Comparing to last year's championship:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XLIV

Network	CBS
Announcers	Jim Nantz and Phil Simms
Nielsen ratings	45.0 (national)[3]
56.3 (New Orleans)
54.2 (Indianapolis)
US viewership: 106.5 million est. avg., 153.4 million est. total (most-
watched Super Bowl in US TV history)[4]
Market share	68 (national)
82 (New Orleans)
80 (Indianapolis)
Cost of 30-second commercial	US≈ $2.5 – $2.8 million [5]
So the rating and market share's about the same, but the number of
viewers for last year is a tad more than double.

Since we're talking about games and Quad recordings here...

I wonder which WCG/SB is the oldest complete game preserved on Quad,
and which was the last?  Who recorded them and has them now?

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com