[QuadList] Super Bowl I Videotape-Could an Armed Forces Network bicycle tape be in some dark warehouse?

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Sun Feb 6 16:10:44 CST 2011

Ted,

I've heard many stories here about AFRTS and how they distributed programs four decades ago. One was that Acme Film and Video used to have a contract to kinescope various network programs in the 70's. I don't believe any tape was distributed in1967, but I could be wrong. Just too expensive and not that many 2" machines at American facilities overseas. And very little kinescope for AFRTS distribution was saved anywhere (People have been searching for years for those kines).

One of my co-workers in a post-production facility here talked extensively about his career at AFKN in Seoul, Korea in the 70's. They had one Toshiba 2" machine (have picture), and film chains. All programming from the US came in on kinescope. He did not recall ever seeing anything incoming "live" from the U.S. during his tour of duty. The 2" machine was for in-house production, black and white. The same scenario for AFPN at Clark Air Base, Philippines.  Here are two frame grabs from a transfer done from AFPN:

Black and white well into the 70's. At least one 2" machine at AFPN.  3/4" was used later for color distribution.

I did see the NBA finals while in Baguio on vacation "live" in 1986 from the Clark Air Base transmitter via a UHF translator in Northern Luzon. So they did have live capability from the U.S. at that time.

The AFRTS HQ used to be up the street in Sun Valley, CA. before moving about 10 years ago to March AFB.

Best Regards,

David Crosthwait
DC Video
ADVANCED RECOVERY AND TRANSFER: 2" QUAD, 1", 3/4" & 1/2" ANALOG AND DIGITAL VIDEOTAPE
DAVID at DCVIDEO.COM
WWW.DCVIDEO.COM