[QuadList] Super Bowl I Videotape-Could an Armed Forces Network bicycle tape be in some dark warehouse?

David C. Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Sun Feb 6 23:49:01 CST 2011

Bob,

Thanks for confirming the 3/4" distribution aspect.

David Crosthwait
DC Video

Quoting rabruner at aol.com:

In the 1980s, Bell & Howell - Columbia - Paramount (Later Rank Video
Systems USA) in Northbrook, IL, had a contract to dub material to
U-matic for AFRTS.  They were recorded on special blue shell cassettes
that were re-cycled back to BHCP for testing and re-use.  They had
about 500 machines set up to deal with this.  There was also some
government recording done on 8mm hi-8 tape, but I am not sure what the
eventual destination of these was.
Bob Bruner
W9TAJ

Quoting David Crosthwait <david at dcvideo.com>:

> Black and white well into the 70's. At least one 2" machine at AFPN.
>   3/4" was used later for color distribution.
>

> David Crosthwait
> DC Video
> ADVANCED RECOVERY AND TRANSFER: 2" QUAD, 1", 3/4" & 1/2" ANALOG AND
> DIGITAL VIDEOTAPE
> DAVID at DCVIDEO.COM
> WWW.DCVIDEO.COM
>

> On Feb 5, 2011, at 10:41 PM, Ted Langdell wrote:
>

>> Televised Super Bowl coverage was limited at first to videotape
>> copies of the game distributed after the fact to overseas outlets,
>> unless AFN outlets contracted with commercial networks to get the
>> game live.
>>

>> Ted

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Archived Media Transfer and Re-mastering Services
177 West Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA. 91502
818-563-1073
818-563-1177 (fax)