[QuadList] Super Bowl I Videotape-Could an Armed Forces Network bicycle tape be in some dark warehouse?

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 23:54:45 CST 2011

Hi Ted,

I have no idea where the AVR-1's went?

Bill

________________________________
From: David C. Crosthwait <david at dcvideo.com>
To: Quad List <quadlist at quadvideotapegroup.com>; David Crosthwait
<david at dcvideo.com>
Sent: Sun, February 6, 2011 9:49:01 PM
Subject: Re: [QuadList] Super Bowl I Videotape-Could an Armed Forces Network
bicycle tape be in some dark warehouse?

Bob,

Thanks for confirming the 3/4" distribution aspect.

David Crosthwait
DC Video

Quoting rabruner at aol.com:

In the 1980s, Bell & Howell - Columbia - Paramount (Later Rank Video Systems
USA) in Northbrook, IL, had a contract to dub material to U-matic for AFRTS.
They were recorded on special blue shell cassettes that were re-cycled back to
BHCP for testing and re-use.  They had about 500 machines set up to deal with
this.  There was also some government recording done on 8mm hi-8 tape, but I am
not sure what the eventual destination of these was.
Bob Bruner
W9TAJ

Quoting David Crosthwait <david at dcvideo.com>:

> Black and white well into the 70's. At least one 2" machine at AFPN.   3/4" was
>used later for color distribution.
>

> David Crosthwait
> DC Video
> ADVANCED RECOVERY AND TRANSFER: 2" QUAD, 1", 3/4" & 1/2" ANALOG AND  DIGITAL
>VIDEOTAPE
> DAVID at DCVIDEO.COM
> WWW.DCVIDEO.COM
>

> On Feb 5, 2011, at 10:41 PM, Ted Langdell wrote:
>

>> Televised Super Bowl coverage was limited at first to videotape  copies of the
>>game distributed after the fact to overseas outlets,  unless AFN outlets
>>contracted with commercial networks to get the  game live.
>>

>> Ted

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Archived Media Transfer and Re-mastering Services
177 West Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA. 91502
818-563-1073
818-563-1177 (fax)