[QuadList] Asaka 1" quad (was NHK's research lab developed a Quad machine in 1958)

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Sun Feb 27 17:54:09 CST 2011

Wayne,

I saw this unit at NAB in the 70's. Also saw a closed circuit broadcast (NAB summary) mentioning it also. I think this was 1976 or 77. It was a record/play transport and two separate external processors. Linear tape speed: 10 I.P.S.

As far as I know, it never saw a sale here. Perhaps John Turner may know. One has to remember that type C was almost accepted when this was introduced. Then, it was over for any production segmented machine, although one-inch helical type B (segmented) hung in there for five more years or so along with 2" quad ACR's and TCR's (commercial playback devises).

Above, Asaka one-inch quad. Now you see it, now you don't. That's how long it lasted.

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Archived Media Transfer and Re-mastering Services
177 West Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA. 91502
818-563-1073
818-563-1177 (fax)