[QuadList] Weekend Picture Puzzle for 2/26/2011

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Sun Feb 27 18:46:05 CST 2011

David....

Congratulations!  You are the winner!  One thing I noticed is that the name of the pic file shows up in my email!  I'll have to be certain not to let that happen again!

I cannot tell from the RCA information I have exactly when the PT-300 was produced, but the paper was published in '64, so it had to be '64 or earlier.  The PT-300 used a standard RCA headwheel (5-mil) and came in 3 pieces, the transport was 16"x18"x11" and as David said weighed 55 lbs.  There was also a power supply/servo package - 16"x19"x5" weighing 35 lbs, and a control panel - 6"x13"x6" weighing 6 lbs.  The machine operated on 28 volts and required 15 amps.

This is the earliest "portable" quad that I'm aware of.  Ampex was able to pack the entire VR-3000 into a unit that weighed about the same as just this transport, but of course that was a few years later.  Still, I think this RCA is pretty remarkable for its time.

So, congratulations again to David for ID'ing the deck, and stay tuned for another puzzle picture coming soon!

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com