[QuadList] 1" transverse scan NHK's research lab developed a Quad machine in 1958

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Mon Feb 28 02:10:26 CST 2011

The ASACA 1" Quad had two models, the last introed in 1977.

It was not the only transverse quad machine and the application that
succeeded was a bit different.

Ampex developed a 1" transverse Quad cassette system, DCRSi, which
writes digital info to tape.

In 1983, Ampex introduced the DCRS digital cassette recorder, offering
compact cassette storage with the equivalent of 16 digital or 8 DDR
instrumentation reels on one cassette. Also, Partial-response maximum-
likelihood (PRML) data decoding technology has its first use in
Ampex's DCRsi™ recorders. This technology is now commonly used in high
performance computer disk drives and other high density magnetic data
storage devices.

Here's a link to a 1996 Ampex presentation about DCRSi and an Ampex
19mm helical cassette  digital data product that uses AST:
http://www.thic.org/pdf/Oct96/ampex.twood.pdf

On page 19, Ampex promoted the Transverse scanning transport topology
as:
• Simple and compact tape path
• Superior performance in hostile environments
• “Azimuth” recording
• >3,000 hour head life - typical

On the next page, it advises there are other benefits. and notes a
pilot tone servo for active tracking.

There's an airborne DCRSi recorder on ebay with quite a few pictures:
http://cgi.ebay.com/AMPEX-TRANSPORT-MDL-TAPE-MACHINE-CAT-1301746-01-1-DCRSI-/310298195589?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483f36b685#ht_830wt_907

On Feb 27, 2011, at 6:33 PM, Don Norwood wrote:

> Hi Wayne:
>
> I suspect you are thinking about the ASACA machine.......
>
> <ASACA 1inch Quad.jpg>
>
> Don Norwood
> Digitrak Communications, Inc.
> www.digitrakcom.com