[QuadList] More Strange Transverse Scanning Recorders

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Sun Feb 27 21:16:17 CST 2011

Since several of you have said that this is the first time you've known of the Octaplex recorders, I thought I'd pass along info on one more really strange machine that takes this whole idea to even more bizarre levels!

I do not know the model number of this machine, but RCA made an airborne machine and a matching ground machine.  The transport was the same in both cases.  This machine used DOUBLE SIDED TAPE.  There were TWO octaplex headwheels on the transport.  First the tape was recorded (dual channels) in one direction, then the tape was REVERSED, and the other side of the tape was recorded by the second headwheel (again two channels).  Running time in each direction was 25 minutes, so you got 50 minutes of dual channel recording on double-sided tape!

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com