[QuadList] Vital... Gainesville

Chuck Reti cwreti at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 15:55:40 CST 2011

On Feb 27, 2011, at Feb 27 11:17 PM, David C. Crosthwait wrote:

> TS 20? Did it pass color, or was that before the need?
>
> One of the stations I worked for in Texas had a Sarkes M/C,
> Production, and Router. [...]
> At that point in my life, the closest I got to a Grass Valley
> switcher was the full sized poster of the 1600 7-G, hanging on the
> wall in my office at home.
> I don't know when Sarkes-Tarzian died.

The TS 20, left by the former occupants of the studio space, WXYZ TV,
was in the control room of a small studio used for undergrad TV
production classes at Wayne State Univ.
I doubt it ever could have passed color (sources were TK-10 IO's). I
think it used relays for crosspoint switching, and did have a mix
amp, but no keyer. You could do split fader sups though.

We used to put up GVG switcher posters on our shop wall as subtle(?)
hints that our gear should be replaced by one of those. Didn't work.

Sarkes got out of the production gear probably in mid to late 70's,
but continued manufacturing television tuners for some time.

Photos taken in 2005 of a Sarkes "VIS 88" panel used at Detroit Board
of Education TV in the late 50's-early 60's. It might still be in
that building. Inset panel may be a Ball Bros. matte keyer / wipe
generator. I have to rework my web page of photos of this place, you
all would enjoy it.