[QuadList] Ampex Models

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 20:50:18 CST 2011

Hi Cris and everybody!

Yes, That was a great meeting, and my paper was sort of an alternative answer to the ENG question. The handwriting was on the wall related to Eng, when we came back to the Hotel later on Friday night after driving in the heavy snow and found that the "crackbarrel" session in a small room on the lower level was attended by maybe 200 engineers mostly out in the halllway, not the 25-30 that normally go to those unplanned & unstructured sessions.

The next day, a good old southern boy from Atlanta, Hugo Bundy (if my 35+ years memory is right) got up and tore apart every piece equipment that he had used!
Then he put up a slide of his ACR-25, and stated that without this machine the whole ENG effort would have been unuseable!
He said they would roll the 3/4" field tapes many times and record each time until they got the one that  worked and then use the ACR to clip the ends, and also that this would allow last second changes in the news playback on an "as required" basis with NO PROBLEMS.
The ACR was his last slide and was on-sceen for over half on his paper and all of the Q & A.
I was sitting next to Don Kleffman, our Marketing Manager, and two levels above me, when leaned over and asked me if I had anything to do with this presentation?
I answered NO, but I was sure going to buy the man a drink or more before the weekend was over! Don was pleased with my answer!

Bill Carpenter

PS: Frank Davis was always a great field engineer and a good friend, both at Belo, and previously at Northwest Teleproductions.