[QuadList] Ampex Models

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Mon Feb 28 18:35:39 CST 2011

I was not sure of the actual count and I thought there might be 21.   The
question was answered with all sorts of speed.

The ones that I thought might be difficult were the E models of the  1100
and the 1200.  Also the VR-3000B.

I did see the VR-3000B demonstrated at the Detroit SMPTE meeting as an
alternative to 3/4 tape.  It worked beautifully.  The operating cost  must have
been against it.  Frank Davis was at the meeting and manned the  booth.  He
later became a VP at Belo.

I know of another VR-1200 that had the detachable monitor rack.  This  was
sold to the University of Michigan Television Center.  It was used in  the
studio and in a remote truck that only did a few shows in black and  white.
There was a monitor setup in the truck.

Now were there any VR-1001B models?  The reason that I ask is  that the
Intersync book tells about how to install the Intersync in the  VR-1001A.  Was
it standard in the B model?  So who can answer this  question?

Chris Hill