[QuadList] AVR 3 heads question

lee williams lasvegastvengineer at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 30 23:24:33 CDT 2011

Hello,
Answers below questions.

--- On Sat, 7/30/11, Chill315 at aol.com <Chill315 at aol.com> wrote:

From: Chill315 at aol.com <Chill315 at aol.com>
Subject: Re: [QuadList] AVR 3 heads question
To: quadlist at quadvideotapegroup.com
Date: Saturday, July 30, 2011, 9:38 AM

Lee

How does the RF envelope look on the scope?
No Scope - I can tell I have plenty of RF with my tracking adjustment.

How is Vertical lining up with house?
AVR3 is on internal generator. No difference if I hook up a black source to the machines.

Do you have an alignment tape?  If so, how does it play and where is the tracking knob?
Alignment and known good tapes play fine.
Client has several thousand tapes made in the early 80's (probably on a VR2000)

Are you using manual or auto tracking?
Manual normally.  No difference in auto.

30 lines of black may be that you are one or two head passes off in the vertical realm.  The tearing may be due to the fact that you can not get the head centered on the track perfectly.

The head assemblies are made so good that they meet SMPTE specifications with in a few hairs.  This is to create interchangeability between machines.

I would not touch the heads in any way as you will destroy the interchange.  It is a critical factor.  If you saw the recent slide show on here, you see the great deal of care taken to make a head.

Now the tape you have may have been done in a non standard method.  That is why all the questions.

I always assume that the tape was poorly made.  Many operations did not do best practices and thus there is a lot of poorly made tapes.

I know it's the tape that is off. (several thousand of them)
Now how do I get them transferred short of sending in the weak head to the rebuilder and have him duplicate the deviation were the head is off of true?

Chris Hill
WA8IGN