[QuadList] AVR 3 heads question

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Sat Jul 30 11:38:18 CDT 2011

Lee

How does the RF envelope look on the scope?

How is Vertical lining up with house?

Do you have an alignment tape?  If so, how does it play and where is  the
tracking knob?

Are you using manual or auto tracking?

30 lines of black may be that you are one or two head passes off in the
vertical realm.  The tearing may be due to the fact that you can not get  the
head centered on the track perfectly.

The head assemblies are made so good that they meet SMPTE specifications
with in a few hairs.  This is to create interchangeability between  machines.

I would not touch the heads in any way as you will destroy the
interchange.  It is a critical factor.  If you saw the recent slide  show on here, you
see the great deal of care taken to make a head.

Now the tape you have may have been done in a non standard method.   That
is why all the questions.

I always assume that the tape was poorly made.  Many operations did  not do
best practices and thus there is a lot of poorly made tapes.

Chris Hill
WA8IGN

In a message dated 7/30/2011 11:56:38 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,