[QuadList] Seeking the wisdom of thy list

Shai Drori srdbx at netvision.net.il
Mon Jun 27 15:26:25 CDT 2011

As a newbie to 1" inch I have observed a few things that I would like to
have your input:
1. My machine was broken (a Sony bvh-3100ps). After hours on the bench
and many caps replaced we got to the point where it would turn on, test
itself and say it had trouble. I managed to find a person kind enough to
offer me extra boards to test and find out what is wrong. It turned out
to be board #2 (SY-103). The machine now plays tapes.
2. I have 3 different tapes on hand. A Sony v1-k, an Ampex 196, and a
Scotch 479. The Sony played from beginning to end without a problem. The
other two didn't lock. The cap and mode lights keep blinking and the
display show sv-90 ref and TBC ref flashing.
3. There are so many parameters there that I have no idea what to do
with. I have no manual printed but have PDF. I will try to print the
first part to see about setup, but any suggestions are welcome.
4. What is the difference in the capstan lock mode between 2,4 and 8?

Humbly yours
the newbie