[QuadList] Seeking the wisdom of thy list

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Mon Jun 27 16:37:06 CDT 2011

I will try to give you background.

First the 2 F, 4 F and 8 F question.

2 F is the mode that the capstan will lock to the black and white  frame.
This means that the scan lines are now being reproduced at the same  time as
the reference sync generator.

4 F is for NTSC so that the color signal is framed with the  reference sync
generator.  This is done so that there is not a half  cycle of sub carrier
shift in the picture with respect to the Horizontal  Sync.  This is the
preferred method for NTSC playback but not an  absolute necessary.

8 F is the PAL equivalent for color playback.

Now the lack of lock.  It is most likely not the tape brand.   First
because you have an error message, are you feeding a reference sync of  know good
quality to the machine?

The SV-90 error may indicate the same thing.  There are the pull out  cards
at the bottom of the control panel that should help with the error
messages.

Is the reference color phase LED indicator in the center of its'  range?

Next if these are not the problem, take a look at the monitor output and
see if you can tell anything about the quality of the RF envelope.  Try
turning off Dynamic Tracking and manually track the tape.

It has been a long time since I played with a 3100 so this is all from
memory.

Chris Hill
WA8IGN

In a message dated 6/27/2011 4:27:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,