[QuadList] Seeking the wisdom of thy list

rabruner at aol.com rabruner at aol.com
Mon Jun 27 23:31:50 CDT 2011

Is it possible the other two tapes were made on an Ampex and the Sony is being forced to V-sync on the sync track?  Been a long time since I dealth with a 3100, but It's something to check.  A re the recordings on the tape the same format as the reference to the machine?  PAL, NTSC, etc.  Are you sure they are C-format tapes?   Lots of non C-format machines in the world. Check that V-ref to the machine is o.k. as well.  Sounds like you are not finding vertical coincidence for some reason.
Bob Bruner

>>As a newbie to 1" inch I have observed a few things that I would like to have your input:
1. My machine was broken (a Sony bvh-3100ps). After hours on the bench and many caps replaced we got to the point where it would turn on, test itself and say it had trouble. I managed to find a person kind enough to offer me extra boards to test and find out what is wrong. It turned out to be board #2 (SY-103). The machine now plays tapes.
2. I have 3 different tapes on hand. A Sony v1-k, an Ampex 196, and a Scotch 479. The Sony played from beginning to end without a problem. The other two didn't lock. The cap and mode lights keep blinking and the display show sv-90 ref and TBC ref flashing.
3. There are so many parameters there that I have no idea what to do with. I have no manual printed but have PDF. I will try to print the first part to see about setup, but any suggestions are welcome.
4. What is the difference in the capstan lock mode between 2,4 and 8?

Humbly yours
the newbie