[QuadList] QuadList Digest, Vol 33, Issue 20

rabruner at aol.com rabruner at aol.com
Wed Mar 2 09:08:06 CST 2011

When RCA launched the TCR, they placed ten production prototypes with stations for shake down.  These machines were identified by letter, a, b, c, etc.  They had an agreement to swap those out with production machines so those people got serial Nos 1 to ten.  I was working at WKRG-TV in Mobile, AL, at the time.  I think our first TCR was ser no 15, so we still got the benefit of a lot of the startup woes I mentioned previously.  For a long time in the beginning, we made dub reels of all the next days spots because we didn't trust the TCR, sometimes with justification.  Later on, it became reliable and some time after that they quit making the spot reels.  That machine was married to a TR-61 and the combination worked well.  It would allow you to set up cues on the reel to reel and the let it automatically roll in spots and switch back to the reel.  Very handy for syndicated shows with a lot of local roll-ins.
Bob Bruner
W9TAJ

    I can't help with the station, but based on the fact that the machine was in its early color of beige, I'd say this was one of the first (if not THE first) installations of TCR-100.
    Also, it's obvious to me that the photos came from an article in RCA Broadcast News, and not just because the photo's file name said so!    ;)

                  Dennis Degan, Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
                                  NBC Today Show, New York

Denny,

Ted, that looks like the prototype machine in Washington DC (WDCA? WTCA?).
Believe it was NBC O+O at the time.
Note the cabinet is NOT RCA Blue, but boring beige. That's the giveaway!