[QuadList] Visual/Allen--The story as related by Al Sturm

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Tue Mar 22 04:44:16 CDT 2011

What follows is the background on Visual/Allen as related in June 2009
over several e-mails by Al Sturm, a principal in Merlin Engineering
Works, which succeeded the Visual/Allen enterprise.

I've corrected spellings. typos and formatting and added photos as
available. Otherwise, it's as Al sent it.

Ted

------------
Visual/Allen and the Bosch connection
I’ll try to do a chronology of Allen/Visual/Fernseh (Bosch)
association from the period of 1965-1970.

Steve Allen was a sharp video entrepreneur who from the early days of
Quad was able to come up with accessories to improve the operation of
the Quad machines. Among some of the products were:

A manually operated adjustable delay line that went in the channel
amps before the switcher. This was the first quadrature corrector.
A very early manual Amtec.This was a time in electronic state of the
art when transistors were first being used in video design.
They built a solid state switcher, and
An improved limiter low band demod. This was about the time of the
VR-1000B.
Their next project was to replace the tube servo.

Steve had two sharp engineers working with him, Clarence Boice (ex
Philco), and Dick Silver (Stanford student.) who were the “power
behind the throne.”  They were very innovative for the time.

Steve had friends at Ampex, and learned of a problem that it was
difficult to obtain quality variable delay lines for Amtecs. It was
very difficult matching the varicaps and holding tolerance on  the
wound inductors. They then started building and selling them to Ampex.
They also built balanced output filters for the VR-1000C demod, which
Ampex used.

Simultaneously, Visual Electronics was a primarily a rep company for
broadcast TV equipment.

Jim Tharpe—Visual's president—was involved in TV all the way back to
the DuMont days. One of his coups was to become the sole US importer
for the Philips Plumbicon cameras. This was about the time when color
hit so they were the “only show in town.” Among products Visual sold
were the accessories from Allen Electronics.

In 1964 when the VR-2000 was introduced. High Band became the standard
for broadcasters.

Jim Tharpe was intrigued with Allen and thought they could build a
competing high band system due to their experience with signal
systems. He then bought Steve Allen out.

The problem turned out to much harder to solve than Visual was led to
believe. Among the problems were:

Number 1: Understanding Charlie Ginsburg's high band patent, and
Number 2. Designing a high band signal system that didn’t infringe the
Ampex patent.

Along with Clarence Boice and Steve Allen , Visual brought in
engineers from France, Germany, and New York to solve the problems.
This is when I went to work for Visual because of my field engineering
background with Ampex. My job title was “Jack of all trades” trying to
be a go between with Visual, Allen, and customers. I ended up being
somewhat of a “fire fighter”.

They had some success. As a result Visual put together a VTR using the
VR-1000 console and monitor rack with a solid state H-locked servo,
signal system utilizing the MK10 head, Amtec, and Colortec. Because of
the buyout of all the Ampex equipment, Ampex wasn’t too concerned with
the competition.

That's me with my "AJ squared away" crew cut. The pix is at Visual
Sunnyvale, CA, (Circa 1968),
in front of  Visual/Allen VA-1000 "

A number of the “Allenized” machines were sold by Visual Electronics.
Some customers were: Corinthian Broadcasting (then a subsidiary of Dun
and Bradstreet,) NBC New York for their time delay, and a number of
educational and religious broadcasters.

(TL notes that in 1977, an Allenized VR-1000 was still in use at KXTV,
10, Sacramento, often recording the first feed of CBS Evening News
with Walter Cronkite for "cherry-picking" stories, and other feed
duties.)

The Visual/Allen machine at KXTV was from a purchase made by George
Jacobs, Director of Engineering for the Corinthian stations. KOTV
Tulsa was another. The president of Visual Electronics Jim Tharpe and
George were good friend from their past DuMont days.

The next step by Visual was to build their own VTR. Tharpe had
contacts in Germany with Fernseh who had a monochrome VTR with their
own air bearing heads.

(Bosch Fernseh BM-20 Monochrome Tube Type Quadrupled VTR--Deutsches
Fernsehmuseum Wiesbaden website)

An association was formed between Fernseh and Visual. Fernseh supplied
frame, transport, and heads to Visual who built a high band signal
system, motor controls, and servo from the Allen electronics to
compete with Ampex.  I was in Darmstadt, Germany many times during the
development and know quite a bit about their products.

The Fernsh head was very good. It had some good features, one of which
was linear bearings for the guide. It was very repeatable and positive.

(Fersnseh head from Al Sturm collection-Al Sturm photo)

Visual then made and marketed a machine called the VA50.

(Engineer Bruce Braun monitors a VA-50 at Rev. Gene Scott's KHOF-TV,
30, San Bernadino, California—Bruce Braun collection)

(Pair of VA-50's, likely at KHOF, from former KHOF-TV Asst. CE, (now
Meredith Local Media VP of Engineering) Joe Snelson via Bruce Braun)

  The VA-50 was a striped down version of the VA-100. I frankly can't
remember what was left off. Pricing was around  $45,000.00 for the
VA-50 and $55,000.00 for the VA-100.

(April 1966 (NAB?) Visual/Allen Quad VTR Catalog from Don Norwood
Collection)

It had limited success. The problem was with all the design
engineering, field engineering, and buyout items from Ampex and
Fernseh costs profit margins were very slim.

Visual was having other financial problems so they shut the VTR
project down.

This is when John Streets and I  started Merlin by buying out all the
excess inventory from Visual. We then started refurbishing and
reselling VR-2000’s , VR-1200's, building our own high band signal
system and offered  high band kits for older machines.

This is the story to the best of my recollection.

Al Sturm

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com