[QuadList] Ampex Models

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Tue Mar 1 07:14:59 CST 2011

Bill

That was a great session at the SMPTE meeting.  Yes I do remember Hugo
Bundy.  A little bit of a southern character.  The state of ENG at  that time
was so primitive.  The equipment was not designed to do what we  were doing.
It was amazing that there were not more issues.  The cost  benefits were so
great that we had to proceed down that path.

Frank was a great field engineer.  I still remember how we spent a  long
night trying to resolve why the RA-4000 would not do match frame edits with
the AVR-2's that we had.  About 3 in the morning we proved that it was the
boost was still on when the RA-4000 sensed lock and released tape speed over
ride.  Then the boost would cause the machine to slip a frame.  The
RA-4000 only needed one frame of time code match to say sync was achieved.   I had
been going down that road and he was going down the road that the problem
was in the AVR-2.  That was because we also had VR-1200's on the  RA-4000.
The AVR-2 with the DC capstan was so good at lock up.

Anyway Frank gave me a great saying over this.  "Some times you need
someone to come along grab your ears and pull your head out of your rear so  you
can see the problem from the right way."

He came up with a fix that worked better than the factory came up with
later when they issued a field bulletin.

Lastly, the ACR-25 was such a great machine.  It never broke unless  the
smell of burnt plastic was from the melting of the drive hub that mated from
the spools in the cassette acted up.

I saw the RCA machine at other stations and how much they had to do to keep
 it going.  You guys did it right.

Chris Hill

In a message dated 2/28/2011 9:50:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,