[QuadList] [Quad List] Question of the week-RCA AE 6000 editor/TEP

Gary Adams garyada at ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 9 09:30:29 CST 2011

Doing this "shift" provided the cleanest sharpest image because it was a
composite image. Chroma and image were really one and not separate.
Separating the chroma from the luminance was indeed possible but flipping
the chroma on top of the luminance required some form of filtering which did
alter the picture. What the Zeus was able to do is run in the "filtering"
mode all the time so chroma flipped or not, always looked the same.  But I
will say the filtering was "really" good so the normal image, even while
filtered, looked great.  It was not the same exact image as as the
unfiltered ones.  Note this same type of filtering was required when slowing
down the image since fields had to be flipped necessitating the need to flip
the chroma 180.  So this was a normal process for every machine that could
slow the picture.  You could easily see the results of this on a Sony when
in jog or slow.  But it was considered acceptable and necessary at the time.
These were the tradeoffs for composite video.

Gary