[QuadList] Ampex AVR-3

W4wj at aol.com W4wj at aol.com
Fri Mar 11 12:59:11 CST 2011

The AMPEX Engineering crew, along with The Doctor,  spent
quite a bit of time in the WTVJ Tape Room working on  our
5 AVR-3s.  The crew was constantly on the phone  with
RWC giving them the changes that needed to be made in the  machines that
were still in the build pipe.

After all was said and done... the machines were  the
best after the AVR-1...  They did the job in  standalone,
machine-to-machine, and computer controlled  editing
with the EDM-1...!!  Two second rolls were the  norm!

It was a sad day when the machines were rolled out the
door to go back to AMPEX for checkout and  delivery
to a U-MATIC customer in Mississippi!!

Don Murray, W4WJ
Retired from 40 years of Miami TV Engineering
35+ years at NBC O&O  WTVJ

In a message dated 3/10/2011 8:56:55 P.M. Central Standard Time,