[QuadList] ACR-25 Cue Times was: Ampex Models

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Fri Mar 11 16:49:37 CST 2011

Gary,

"Ampex was the absolute best at designing such systems.  Very good at DC servos for max acceleration and deceleration with a gentle touch... On the 1” machines, the ability to grab a reel and move it to jog the tape by hand.  Nice touch. "

I'd say that's why so many NBC sports slo-mo guys from NYC preferred a truck with 1" VPR 2's so as to be able to grab the reels and do the slo-mo by hand, as apposed to the controller running the transport. The VPR 2  most likely would not spill tape if done right, a must on live sports.

Don's truck had VPR 2's. Ran them on NFL football in Miami in the 80's.

David
(So-mo operator back then...)
www.dcvideo.com

On Mar 11, 2011, at 11:08 AM, Gary Adams wrote:

> I would say that Ampex was the absolute best at designing such systems.  Very good at DC servos for max acceleration and deceleration with a gentle touch.   Very impressive.  RCA stuck with the old AC motor drivers for everything just about and that made for a very rubbery control of reel servos and belt drive.  On the 1” machines, the ability to grab a reel and move it to jog the tape by hand.  Nice touch.
>
> Gary

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Archived Media Transfer and Re-mastering Services
177 West Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA. 91502
818-563-1073
818-563-1177 (fax)