[QuadList] WEAU-TV, Eau Claire's 1, 947 foot tower collapses-NBC affiliate off-air, so is WAXX-FM.

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Thu Mar 24 10:29:26 CDT 2011

In 1975, I rode up KTVT/KERA's tower at Cedar Hill Texas with a 16mm camera (Arri) to about the 1,000 level (maybe higher) on a cold day in a tiny elevator w/ the transmitter engineer for TV 13. It's a whole different world up there. The tower guys aren't paid enough.

In the late sixties, KDTV's 1600' tower came down, also at Cedar Hill.

A 1500' tower came down in Houston in the 80's when a gin pole hoisting up an antenna broke. The falling antenna hit a guy wire, either breaking it or gyrating the whole tower via that guy wire. It all came down, killing several people, and all  caught on tape.

In the 80's or 90's, a  NAS jet hit a guy wire at the KXAS/KDFW/WFAA 1680' tower causing structural damage that required the crash effort to build two new towers and abandon the common tower ASAP. The story I heard was that, after the crash (where the pilot died), the tower inspector came down white faced as to how serious the problem was.

Seems like about once a year one of these tall towers goes down for one reason or another.

David